Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Wo(man)'s Best Friend

By Cal Orey
The Healing Powers of 
DOGS



A dog doesn't care if you're rich or poor, big or small, young or old. He doesn't care if you're not smart, not popular, not a good joke-teller, not the best athlete, nor the best-looking person. To your dog, you are the greatest, the smartest, the nicest human being who was ever born. You are his friend and protector.
This week marks a big milestone: Skyler, my Australian Shepherd, a blue merle, is nine months old. Skye has performed his "job" and so much more. Late last year, I was on a mission to find the right canine to help fill a void for my loss of a Brittany, to help me and his dog pal Simon heal. And this little Aussie did just that.

Today, I awoke to my senior Britt and pup roughhousing on the bed. I wanted to sleep (I tried) through the play. Now, awake, I am grateful for this upbeat, active pooch. He is keeping my 10-year-old sporting dog and me, an aging hippie chick. younger and healthier. In the past, I have leaned on warmhearted dogs to get through tough times (I shared this up close and personal story in national magazines). I feel that my dog pack is balanced once again.  And yes, I dance outdoors and indoors with my fun-loving canines, young and older. (My heart and soul continues to be moved by the heroic dog companions in my life, past and present.) 

Come September, my senior boy will be getting a teeth cleaning so he can continue to be well and chew his bones. In November, Skye will go to the vet to be "f-i-x-e-d"... I don't know what I'd do living a life without dogs. 

As a kid, my father turned me onto canines. I had my fill of unforgettable dogs including Casey, a Dalmatian, Ole, Norwegian Elkhound, and Tiger, a Maltese. As I grew up dogs became a big part of my life. I hitched and hiked across American with a fearless Maltese and later a Lab with street smarts and sixth sense that saved my life. Both dogs were great traveling partners. In later years, I was a sporting dog girl and enjoyed 20 years with two Labs. Then, I fell into the wonderful world of Brittanys--three (Dylan, Seth, and Simon) are with me on both Earth and Heaven.

And now, I have been blessed with a very strong and smart Brittany and a loving, energetic Aussie--the best of both worlds. I am loving two dogs--my companion animal angels--again and it feels right. 

Dogs have given us their absolute all.  We are the center of their universe.  We are the focus of their love and faith and trust.  They serve us in return for scraps.  It is without a doubt the best deal man has ever made.  ~Roger Caras

1 comment: