Friday, August 10, 2012

Coffee Lovers--Do You Know the Way to San Jose?

By Cal Orey, The Writing Gourmet
San Jose (wikipedia)

Tomorrow morning I will wake up to a cup of fresh brew. Once I feed the Brittany duo and Siamese cat, it's time to get my stuff together and head out to San Jose--the place I was born and raised. The deal is--it's changed...
The people I once knew in San Jose (and on the peninsula) are all gone. A few folks are still around but they have moved. They are older. It will be different. I feel like I'm going to a big city where it's new but not necessarily improved.
Of course, I'll drive by the house I grew up in, the place where my mom cooked and baked and tried to show me the ropes of it all. Then, I'll swing by the 2nd house I endured as a late teen and rebelled. I'll have to see Los Gatos--my route to Santa Cruz Mountains--another place I lived and loved. And that's not all...
There's S.F., where I went to school to get my bachelor's degree and master's degree. It's the city I fell in love with and always thought would be the place to live and die. Not so. It seems like Lake Tahoe grabbed my body, mind, and spirit.
So, it will be a visit to make an appearance at Barnes and Noble for a book signing. My latest book The Healing Powers of Coffee will be the talk--not me. (I probably will purchase coffee or somewhere in area--a mecca of java junkies, past and present.)And, my other Healing Powers series will be there too. And after I'll get a taste of the SF Bay Area--a place where I know can and often sense oncoming quakes but most likely will not go back to live. I'm looking forward to making a weekend trip but also will anticipate coming back to the mountains--my new home for 13 years. I wonder if produce stands are still on the highway going to Salinas. If so, I will be there, too before going back to the hill--my down-to-earth home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment