Thursday, March 1, 2012

Lake Champlain Chocolates: A Frog to Love for St. Patrick's Day

I love chocolate and frogs. Perhaps because the little guys like to swim and are a lucky charm is why I'm hooked; and chocolate and I go way, way back in time. Combine the two and I'm in Chocolate Frog Heaven...March is the month when chocolatiers create chocolates to celebrate Saint Patrick's Day...In my book The Healing Powers of Chocolate (by Cal Orey, published by Kensington), I include a section "Americans Love Chocolate." According to a survey conducted by Barry Callebaut, some tidbits may wow you.
* More than half of U.S. adults have tried single-origin chocolates, with organic and fair-trade chocolate growing in popularity.
* Americans are more likely to consume chocolate at work compared with Europeans.
* Fifty-four percent of Americans said they eat chocolate because they like it, while 4 percent eat chocolate for health reasons.
* Nearly 6 to 10 Americans are loyal to a particular brand of chocolate, but many are trying new brands.
When I was in research mode for my chocolate book, countless UPS boxes of chocolates ended up on my doorstep. One from Lake Champlain Chocolates made a sweet and long-lasting impression in my mind and chocolate recall memory. To decide which product I enjoyed the most would be an arduous task for sure. The day I opened the  handsome box of Lake Champlain Chocolates, I was overwhelmed.
Every item was impressive to the eye and palate. For a gal who eating mass market chocolate purchased at the grocery store, biting into an Organic Spicy Aztec Chocolate Square put me in another class of chocolate. I was hooked on spicy flavors in chocolate, thanks to the Lake Champlain Chocolates Selection, in an  impressives green box with an image of a lake surrounded by mountains--much like Lake Tahoe, my home. The epicurean nutty-tasting Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup haad me at the first bite. I was ready to move to Vermont, the chocolate company's home base.
Its specialties include novelty treats like a a chocolate frog and other spring treats.  Back to the past, I wasn't going to eat him. After all, I am a lover of all of God's creatures, big and small. But the thing is, on March 17th I took the risk and the adorable frog was eaten by me, bite by bite. And it was an unforgettable experience. I think it may be time for me to order a frog (or two) for luck's sake. Thank you again Lake Champlain Chocolates. Kiss the chocolate frogs for me.

1 comment:

  1. People always ask me, the Chocolate Book author -- "What's the best chocolate company?" Lake Champlain Chocolates is one of my favorites and has earned its wonderful reputation!

    ReplyDelete