Monday, May 10, 2010

Single Women Prefer Canine Breakfast Companions



by The Writing Gourmet

I admit it. I have a big thing for good dogs and good apples. It didn't take long to find out that I'm hardly alone. A recent Australian trend shows single women prefer dogs to men. That makes me feel a bit better. After all, both dogs and apples are good for you: they can keep the doctor at bay and help you live a longer, healthier life...
Fresh apples--Fuji and Honeycrisp are my favorites. Apple pie. Apple turnovers. Baked apples. But it's Apple Pancakes that is on my brain. It's gotta be the Tahoe snowstorm and chilly temps that's got me craving a hot breakfast. So, tomorrow a.m. I'm going to cook up this superfruit dish and go back to bed with the boys (my two Brittanys). A cup of Italian roast, a couple of dressed up hot pancakes, and sliced oranges will make the morning seem like it's not a work day, sort of.
Maybe it's because I'm a native laid-back Californian or a nightowl. Whatever the reason, I'm up by 8:00 a.m., but I do like to savor breakfast and work in bed with the laptop computer till it's swim time. And truly, munching on good for you food; snuggled in comforters in a warm waterbed (a golden state thing) while watching the world news, fielding emails, sandwiched in between two loyal and happy Brittanys is my idea of a nice and busy morning--sun or snow or both.
On the downside, I may be embracing my spinsterhood. My pampered pooches (they sleep underneath the covers with me every night and since each were six weeks old) are my canine companions--woman's best friend(s).These are the boys whom flanked my side at B&N book lectures/signings. These guys are the ones who are under my feet when I pen articles and books--day and night. My guys help me sense oncoming quakes and calm me when I use my psychic abilities when clients ring.
Meanwhile, I wonder if I'm destined to be am old maid forever or until my next life if there is an afterlife. For now, I probably should order a couple of "I forgot to get married" t-shirts. I wonder if they make 'em in orange and white, the colors of my canines.

* * *

Apple Raisin Pancakes

1 2/3 cups all-natural whole wheat flour

Approximately 1 cup 2% low-fat organic milk

1 teaspoon cinnamon

3 medium Fuji apples, chopped into small pieces

1/2 cup raisins

1 tablespoon Confectioner's sugar

Drizzle olive oil into a frying skillet and turn onto medium heat. Drop a large spoonful of chopped apples/raisins and top with batter mixture. Flatten with spatula. Let cook like a pancake. Once bubbly and the edges appear thick flip over and cook till golden brown. Serves 4 to 6. Top with premium maple syrup and dust with Confectioner's sugar and dark chocolate curls or nuts.


One more thing. My dogs don't snore, nor do they hog the covers. They sleep when I want to sleep and play when they want to play. No hassles. No demands. No worries. It's all good. No wonder I'm not the only single woman who prefers dog bedmates. Note to serious dog people (singles and couples): Apples, raisins, nuts and dark chocolate are people food. Not for dogs. Feed the four-leggers first. Bones will suffice while you soar to Apple Pancake utopia. Wow. I sure hope there are dogs in heaven.

7 comments:

  1. LOLs Callie...it's a good thing you included (my two Brittanys) in that sentence up there or you'd have me wondering about you! That aside, these pancakes sound yummy (!) and so does the way you start your day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost got a dog before I met my wife. Unfortunately, she hates them so it's either her or the dog. There are times when I question my decision. Dogs are certainly easier to prepare meals for, however I think I'll stick it through with the decision I made.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joe,
    The past men (except one dog-loving Italian whom I was with in my 20s) in my life never cared much for my love of canines. I sense they were jealous because the dog came first. But hey, how can a guy compete with a handsome upbeat critter that dishes out unconditional love 24/7?
    Callie

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful way to start the day! You go, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thx Ana. Just thinking. If I got up at 6:00 a.m. and began the day -- I could be even more productive. Or not. A recent article on the Net noted if we work 11 hrs. per day we are on the heart attack path. "Boys, Simon? Seth? Ready to get up with mom?"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not to mention dogs are LOYAL! How about baked apples baked in pastry and drizzled with a little caramel fresh out of the oven?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pastry does sound good. On my to do list: Make homemade pastry and bread...Like to do it because it would be whole wheat and no artificial stuff. But gosh, working on the new healing powers book is like taking 18 classes. A lot of work!

    ReplyDelete