Friday, April 2, 2010

Sierra Cornbread Muffin Magic


By Cal Orey, The Writing Gourmet

Snow flurries, howling wind, lake advisory...these are the things that mountain folks are dealing with today at Lake Tahoe. Earlier today I did manage to get in a swim (challenging with young kids playing Marco Polo and doing cannonballs near my head). But hey, the heavenly hot tub was a solo thing and no games or noise. The dogs? No great walk today. After bringing in firewood and shoveling the snow off the deck I was whooped. Shh. I don't think they know the difference. Let the sleeping Brittanys lie. It's time to get cozy, snuggle, watch movies, and eat comforting, warm, wintertime foods...
In the beginning of the week I made cornbread muffins. This time around, I did it from scratch. It's really easy to do and the taste is worth it--better than store bought mixes and I control the ingredients. I froze a batch and am glad I did. Imagine: Taking a homemade muffin out of the freezer when the craving hits. Just pop it in the microwave and ah, cornbread muffin magic. It's warm, semi-sweet, and the texture is like a good muffin should be--moist and fresh.

Sierra Cornbread Muffins

* * *
1 1/4 cups all natural whole wheat flour
3/4 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup honey
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup 2% low fat organic milk
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 brown eggs
Combine dry ingredients in a bowl. Stir till mixed. Add the rest of ingredients. Pour batter into paper lined muffin tins. Bake at 400 degrees for about 15 to 20 minutes till golden brown. Cool. Makes about 12 medium muffins. Freeze 'em.

So here I sit on a Friday night. As the author-intuitive, I'm working my psychic job and reading books linked to my new book project. In between these tasks I stoke the fire, pet the pooches and kitty. I just enjoyed a muffin--they are super plain--with a cup of hot chamomile tea. It gets better.
Yesterday, I received a gift of chocolates from Lake Champlain Chocolates (it's a special chocolate item tied to my new book research--a surprise). I've revisited Chocolate Heaven (again). And today, another surprise package arrived full of the awesome super food--like chocolate, vinegar, and olive oil--that I'm writing about.
Uh oh. A strong vibe is coming into my space. The energy is positive though. No need for astrology or tarot cards on this read. It's crystal clear. I'm picking up that I'm embracing my pre-golden spinsterhood years. Such is life in the sierras in early springtime. It's magical.

No comments:

Post a Comment