Tuesday, April 20, 2010

A Little Java & Chocolate For Burning Fat


By Cal Orey,
The Writing Gourmet

In my latest book The Healing Powers of Chocolate, I tout both coffee and chocolate. These days, I turn to these superfoods to help me stay lean and fit. I'm not talking about drinking coffee all day or eating a huge chocolate cake. But a cup of Joe and piece of fine dark chocolate may be the key to help you lose unwanted pounds and/or body fat--just in the nick of time this spring before summer when we all bare more skin...
The fact is, researchers have discovered that drinking coffee will increase your calorie-burning power for at least three hours afterward. The effect may be due to the caffeine.
For a double effect, try pairing a piece of antioxidant-rich dark chocolate with 70 percent cocoa content (it doesn't contain a lot of caffeine or sugar and can cut cravings for empty calorie sweet foods packed with added sugar, which may be linked to heart disease risk, according to new research) and a cup of quality coffee. Or, sip a coffee mocha or latte. (More coffee types are included in my book.) One of my favorite companies with a wide selection of coffees is Caffe D' Amore--including coffee such as Bellagio, cocoa, and tea--and yes, during my research I was in coffee and chocolate utopia. But note, coffee isn't for everyone. Again, the key is moderation.
And yes, I can tell you that this formula will give you the drive to get a move on and get involved in fat-burning activity, including walking the dogs, swimming, and spring cleaning. I'm not talking about vigorous high-intensity aerobic exercise, but keep moving by doing things, so you are are able to stay active for a longer period of time.
Now that it's officially off season at Lake Tahoe, that means longer swims, longer walks, and more physical activity for me as the weather warms up (or after this batch of snow it should). A toast to java and chocolate for getting and staying in shape year-round!

2 comments:

  1. Cal,
    Have you every studies the properties of Xocai dark Chocolate? It is unprocessed and unheated to retain all the anitoxidents, and it is mixed with freeze-dried asai berry and blueberry. One type also has Omega-3 oils, flaxseed and orange peel to help with neuological problems, and another has probiotics that is a tremendous help with digestive problems. It is an amazing product and I feel you should look into it. I have several links on my website you can follow. Check out chocolateopportunities.com. If you have any questions, please contact me and I will find the answer. Thanks.
    Sandra Faust
    sandi@chocolateopportunities.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sandra,
    Yep, Xocai is indeed noted several times in my book The Healing Powers of Chocolate. It's definitely no nonsense chocolate with health virtues!

    ReplyDelete