Sunday, June 28, 2009

Cool Ways To Fight Fat! Stir-Fry Shrimp & Rice...


Forget Meat! Eat Rice,Veggies & Fish...


Slim Down, Firm Up

by Cal Orey

I woke up this morning and thought to myself: "Why are some of my gal-pals and guy-pals struggling this summer with unwanted body fat and pounds?" It isn't rocket science...I believe part of the extra weight formula is due to three factors: rather than grazing (eating metabolism-boosting mini meals throughout the day) they wolf down three big meals (or one!) per day; making meat a big part of it all; and lack of exercise.

Do as the Europeans and Hawaiians do--when they follow their traditional diet (including veggies, whole grains, fish in moderation) and exercise regimes. You can go from fat to firm at any age!

In my late teens, I rebelled and stopped eating my mom's meat dishes. Also, I became physically active. The result: I was a petite shrimp--lean and fit...Today, in my mid fifties, same deal: size 4, 122 lbs. at 5' 5". So when I hear folks and peers complain about their weight (often at the pool I swim at) I tell them simply to do as I do. Eat more rice, veggies, fish--less meat--and get a move on! Here, is a great jump-start recipe to give you a taste of eating right. It's quick and easy and will help you to slim down.


Stir-Fry Shrimp and Rice

3 green onions, sliced

1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper

1/2 cup red beel pepper

1 pound tiny cocktail shrimp

1 quart cooked long-grin rice, cold (I prefer brown rice)

1 (8 ounce) can pineapple chunks in juice

1/3 cup natural rice vinegar

3 tablespoons Oriental sesame oil (I prefer extra virgin olive oil)

a pinch of pepper

1/4 cup fresh cilantro

1/2 cup sliced almonds



In a large nonstick skillet or wok, stir-fry onions with green and red pepper for a few minutes. Stir in shrimp and rice. Add pineapple with juice, vinegar, oil, and pepper. Heat thoroughly. toss in cilantrol. Garnish with almonds. Serve hot, or for salad, divide mixture into 4 small molds and chill 2 hours or overnight. Unmold salads onto lettuce leaves.



(Excerpt from The Healing Powers of Vinegar, by Cal Orey)

No comments:

Post a Comment