Thursday, May 28, 2009

Wake Up to Grr-eat Sweet Potato Biscuits


Wake Up to Grr-eat Sweet Potato Biscuits


Good morning. Do you want the good or bad news? Bad news: Yesterday morning Seth, my youngest Brittany, 3, devoured one banana peel (yes, the banana was eaten by me). Minutes later I rang up my vet. On hold. I waited. I waited for the final verdict. Good news: No damage. Seth survived the banana peel.

The banana saga brought back memories of the bagels and wrapper he chowed down during the horrifying June 2007 Angora Fire when we evacuated to a hotel. And, of course, there was the Dark Chocolate Truffle Incident...(A traumatic ordeal for all. Keep chocolate away from dogs morning, noon, and night 24/7.)

This morning all is good but I realize these days I am a bit bored with breakfast. Fruit, cereal, yogurt, and even the blueberry pancakes are yesterday's news. I want a new treat. And today, my eyes are fixed on a recipe (courtesy of Spectrum Naturals, Inc.,) in my book The Healing Powers of Olive Oil.

I adore homemade sweet potato pie so these wholesome, all-natural biscuits will get me at the first bite, too. And they should make fine teammates with a Tuscan Omelet, yes? (Both call for canola oil.) Breakfast is back. If you whip up a batch please do share...One more thing. If you've got a food-loving canine (or two) by your side during breakfast as I always do, have a couple of doggie biscuits to share. (http://calorey.blogspot.com/2009/05/extra-virgin-olive-oil-for-your-pet-you.html) Buno appetito!



Sweet Potato Biscuits

1 cup unbleached flour
1/4 cup peeled, cooked, and mashed sweet potato
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1-2 tablespoons milk
Pinch cinnamon
1/3 cup Spectrum Naturals Organic Canola Oil

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Sift the dry ingredients together. Place the sifted dry ingredients into a food processor, add the oil, and blend. Blend the sweet potatoes into the mixture and add the maple syrup. Add the milk a small amount at a time until the dough begins to form into a ball. Process as little as possible. Place the dough ball on a lightly floured suface and knead lightly, 5 to 10 times. Roll it out to 3/4-inch thickness and cut it into rounds. Place the cut-out rounds on a lightly oiled cookie sheet and bake for about 12 minutes. Makes 12 biscuits.

1 comment: